Instance Name and pulldata()

08-20-2018 12:05 PM
RobertMEIER
Occasional Contributor

Can the pulldata funtion be used in the instance name? I found a mention of pulldata in the comments of this blog post.

https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2017/04/24/understanding-the-instancename-setting 

But I'm not sure if the context of the comment is correct.

I am trying a concat - concat ("Manhole ID:", ${MAPID}, " Status:" , pulldata( 'StatusInfo','StatusType','StatusCode',${JobStatus}))

Also just try this - pulldata( 'StatusInfo','StatusType','StatusCode',${JobStatus})

I'm getting the same error - "dataLists is not defined in expression" - then it redisplays the instanace_name setting.

My csv is in the media folder, it's very simple:

StatusType,StatusCode
Not Started,-1
Started,0
Completed,1

Thanks!

-bert

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Robert,

pulldata() functions are not designed to occur within other functions.  The best practice would be to have a hidden question store the value looked up via pulldata() and reference that question in the instance_name.  If you do not want to write the value to the feature service, set the bind::esri:esriFieldType setting to null to have the form ignore that question on submission.

CarlosSousaFerreira
New Contributor III

Thanks for this input!

Just used this "trick" to put the choice description of a selected value (integer) to the instance_name variable, using the jr:choice-name(${select_one_question}, '${select_one_question}') function mentioned in XLSForm essentials—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

0 Kudos