Adding a field and setting default values yields no result

08-15-2018 06:11 AM
KonradHughes
New Contributor II

When adding a field to an AGOL feature layer under the Data tab, in spite of setting a default value in the prompt, that value never appears.  Regardless of data type, none of what I enter in the default value box appears after the new field gets added.  Is this only for new features that get created after the field has been added, and if so, how do I automatically generate my default value in the records that already exist?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarisaClaggett
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Konrad,

When using default values with new fields, the default value is only used with new features after the field has been created.  In order to add the default value to existing features, you can calculate the field to equal the default value.  If you only want to add the default value to features without any existing value, you can run a filter to only show features with 'None' value, then run a calculate field. Hope this helps!

Best,

Marisa

0 Kudos
MatthewStull1
Occasional Contributor II

How do you select features (run a filter) that have a None or Null value in a feature layer?  I couldn't see a way to do that with my feature layer.

0 Kudos