Changing URL Names

08-08-2018 02:10 PM
JeremyKrotz
New Contributor

My company is changing names and I"m wondering what the best practice is to change Story map URL's. I know that I can change the url under My Organization > Settings > Short Name URL so for example if the company is changing form ABC to XYZ the URL will change like below:

abc.maps.arcgis.com to xyz.maps.arcgis.com

However, does that mean I have to relink all elements (i.e. layers, maps, files) within any existing web apps or maps or does it just mean only the hyperlink to any web app/map that is shared will have to change?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Jeremy, 

In the ArcGIS Online settings for changing the Short Name: 

"This functionality is intended for new organizations with little content or customization. Consider this change carefully if your organization is more mature and has extensive content. If you want to proceed with this change, some of your organization's content and resources may reference your old short name and will require manual updating. After changing your short name, be sure to alert your members that they may need to sign in again and update any bookmarks pointing to your organization."

So it sounds like some re-configuration will be required.

I had a go with a trial account because I was curious. I created some data, a web map, added an image, and created a Cascade story map using all 3 items. When I set the name change I get:

The name change was immediate and the all my items worked exactly the same. 

If I browse to a private item with the old URL, a constant redirect happens to log in. If I browse to a public item with the old URL, it still loads - I can't say for sure that this will remain working. I'm assuming it all still works because the app is referencing Item IDs and not URLs. You can look at the JSON of your items using ArcGIS Online Assistant .

Changing your short name is only recommended for new organisations or those with little content, so if you change it, you have to be aware that it may not work as intended.

Carmel

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jeremy

You don't need to relink maps, layers, files, or images used in your Story Maps because internally they are referenced either with IDs or generic URLs. The URL of your maps and apps will change to reflect your new Org. For example if you have links to your story maps on your website, you'd update those to point directly at the updated URLs.

Rupert