Solutions Deployment Tool - 'Unable to open the task. It cannot be found.'

Jump to solution
07-11-2018 08:36 AM
deleted-user-8TJ6jZDO1Rfr
New Contributor III

I have a question about the Solutions Deployment Tool in Pro. I am using it to 'Publish Basic Local Government Scene' for a 3D basemap using Lidar. My issue is that twice now I have closed my project and opened it again to find that my task is "Unable to open the task. It cannot be found". The last time this occurred I had to delete my project locally and on AGOL to get rid of all files associated with the project. Only then was I able to deploy a new solution and start over. 

Has any one else had this issue? Any ideas what is causing it? It is pretty annoying having to go through so much effort just to restart the task. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi,

Separate task files are now included in the Local Government 3D basemap solution.

I will add them to the other solutions as well.

Gert

View solution in original post

22 Replies
AbrahamCortes1
New Contributor

I had exactly the same problem. This happened to me after updating the project's settings.

All the work I had done on 2 new tasks is gone. I hope esri finds the reason for this problem, I don't understand why tasks would not be found if they are embedded in the project?

New Contributor III

Sorry to hear about your lost work, but it is nice to know I'm not the only person dealing with this. I should add that the first time this happened was after I adjusted some display settings in the project options as well. 

0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi Abraham, James,

I am the author of the Local Government 3D basemaps solution and I haven't seen this issue before. Are you extracting the Pro package by clicking on it or do you use the 'Extract Package' GP tool to extract it to a custom location? It would be good to get to the bottom of this.

In the meantime, 1 workaround would be to save the task file by right-clicking on it and save it locally. This way at least you can recover more quickly. In the next release I will add the task files separately as well if we can't find the cause of the problem.

Regards Gert

New Contributor III

Gert,

I have been extracting the pro package by clicking on it in my catalog pane. I haven't had this issue for a couple months, until this week when I got the exclamation point on my Schematic Local Government Scene. I wish I had backed it up beforehand but now it's too late... I have been avoiding deleting everything and starting over but I will need to eventually. I'm going to bring this issue up later today in a meeting with our ESRI 3D Rep, Lee. Let me know if there is any information I can provide you with. 

0 Kudos
Gert_van_Maren
Esri Contributor

Hi James,

You could try and use the 'Extract Package' tool to extract to a custom location in the meantime. I have forward this issue to the appropriate dev team.

Gert

Gert van Maren

3D Solutions Engineer

+642040792466

JulieZamudio
New Contributor II

Gert,

I am having this same problem. I was having issues trying to run one of the tasks. We kept getting error 000852 when we tried running the Extract Roof Forms task. The solution we had suggested to us was to copy the files to another location or try copying all the files in the p20 folder to another location and renaming the p20 folder. I tried copying all the information from the package over to another location and also copying everything from the p20 folder. Now when I go in the package or open the project I no longer have access to the Publish Schematic Local Government Scene tasks. I tried re-deploying the task but it doesn't help. The Basic and Realistic are still available but for some reason the Local has the red exclamation beside it.  I tried theExtract Package tool, but all that does is bring over a toolbox and doesn't give me the access back in the Task folder. 

Has anyone found a solution to this? I still have my project and all the layers, but I can't get the Publish Schematic Local Scene tasks back. 

Thank you, 

Julie Zamudio

David
by Esri Contributor
Esri Contributor

This has also happened to me a few times in the last week. I created a task and used it, then when I opened the project there was the red exclamation point.

Like Gert, I recommend exporting the task to a .esritasks file, as a backup, until this get fixed.

AmirBar-Maor
Esri Regular Contributor

Apologies to all of you.

Tasks should NOT disappear!

We are having trouble reproducing this issue - so if anyone has a reproducible case please share.

From what we can tell the task item, that is stored in the project (aprx file), no longer exists.

So you end up with a project that reference a task item that no longer exists (hence the broken source).

Until we fix it please save a backup: save the task item to a task file.

Amir

Jason Camerano‌ - FYI

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Tasks should NOT disappear!  Right....But they do...

I experienced the same issue yesterday (ironically I work about 8 feet from James).  It seems like a random problem so reproducing it in a controlled environment would take a lot of luck if not divine intervetion.  In my case, I ad another copy of the  Local Government 3D basemaps solution project, so I exported the task to a task file and then imported it to my 'working' project.  Truth be told, I exported ALL the tasks to task files for safe keeping....

That should just about do it....