"Swipe loading failed" loading embeded swipe map - sometimes

Jump to solution
06-14-2018 01:42 PM
JustMapSynch
New Contributor III

When viewing my Story Map on a Chromebook,  I'm getting this "Sorry, Swipe loading failed" error message.  It happens when the primary Story Map tries to load embeded swipe Storymaps in two of its 'main stage' areas. They try to load for a while (15 seconds to a minute) then report the error.   Launched as standalone Stories, those two swipe Storymaps work fine.   They, and their constituent layers, are public and the StoryMap site gives them a clean bill of health.   

Except for the two embeded maps, the rest of the larger Storymap comes up fine, and the whole Story Map and all its maps open fine in the two Windows 10 desktops, two Apple Air and two iPhones I tried.

I wasn't able to find any documentation on the "Sorry, Swipe loading failed" message.  Someone on Reddit once complained that he got the message when trying to open a slider map that other people were able to open.  I also got that message at one point when I provided an incorrect link to a Story Map.  

Here is a link to the ailing Storymap, (which is still in draft):

[deleted]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustMapSynch
New Contributor III

The resolution (with some help from Jennifer of Tech Support) was simple.  I went thru and identified a couple of the building blocks of my Story Map that had not been shared publicly.  I set them to Public and everything loaded on both Windows, Apple and Chromebook computers.  (I'd been having problems loading the files in Apple and Chromebook.  Windows always worked).

I know, I know... the sharing stuff is the first thing they warn you about, but I was figuring that the Story Map site checker had me covered when it gave me a clean bill of health.  It turns out that it misses some access problems sometimes.   

But all's well that ends well.  I'd rather cop to a dumb mistake than face an ongoing mystery.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JustMapSynch
New Contributor III

The resolution (with some help from Jennifer of Tech Support) was simple.  I went thru and identified a couple of the building blocks of my Story Map that had not been shared publicly.  I set them to Public and everything loaded on both Windows, Apple and Chromebook computers.  (I'd been having problems loading the files in Apple and Chromebook.  Windows always worked).

I know, I know... the sharing stuff is the first thing they warn you about, but I was figuring that the Story Map site checker had me covered when it gave me a clean bill of health.  It turns out that it misses some access problems sometimes.   

But all's well that ends well.  I'd rather cop to a dumb mistake than face an ongoing mystery.

0 Kudos