Survey Output Table

06-13-2018 08:58 AM
AlanCoats1
New Contributor

I have a long survey with 20+ distinct "repeat" sections. So far, I'm really pleased with the ability to collect polygons in Collector, pass on parameters to a Survey123 form, and continue to collect data in Survey123. I'm currently running test surveys to better understand what the output data from Survey123 looks like. After I collect the data, I plan to use the output table as a CSV for analysis. 

The best way to view my data seems to be the hosted feature layer from my survey (is this correct?). However, each individual "repeat" appears as a separate table associated with the layer, rather than having all of them in one consolidated table. Also, each of the tables is output in a "wide" format. In other words, there is only one row for each survey, and the answers to questions appear as columns. However, when it comes time to analyze the data, it will be easier to have the data in a "long" format, or one in which every survey question has an individual row, with columns in each row that identify the survey.

Of course, I can merge the tables and perform a "reshape" in R to convert the table to long-format. If that would be the best solution, that's not a big problem. However, I'm still learning Survey123, and I mostly want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong. 

Summary: Is there a way to output Survey123 results as a long-format table that includes answers from all repeat sections?

Thanks very much for your help. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alan,

Have you had a look at the survey123 website: http://survey123.arcgis.com/. There are additional options there for viewing and analyzing data compared to AGO website.

You can also print survey responses in a document, converting them to a "long" format one question and response after each other. Also you can make custom report templates to put the questions and answers into a table format in a word document.

As for showing parent records and child records for the related tables in one single line record, this is not possible due to one to many relationships with related tables. It would require pivoting all the related fields from related tables and appending to the parent table. If required, you can export to excel or csv and do this outside of AGO or Portal.

Phil.