How do I deploy a custom widget created in Web Appbuilder Developer Edition?

06-12-2018 12:43 PM
CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

I am hoping to get some clarification on how to deploy a custom widget to my AGOL Organizational account to use in a hosted application. I can't seem to find any documentation on how to do this.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cameron,

Custom widget can not be used in AGOL Apps. You can add custom widgets to WAB Developer edition or on premise Portal but not AGOL WAB.

CameronBlandy
Occasional Contributor

Hi Robert,

Just as I thought. Weird that it can’t be done given you link the Dev Edition to your organization account. You’d think through the linking that you could easily see the custom widgets.

So would one way to get the custom widget in the AGOL be to create the app on Dev Edition and download it. Then import as an application in AGOL. Just a random thought haven’t tested it.

For context, the reason I want the app in AGOL is that I want to leverage the elastically of the AGOL cloud severs. This app is for an upcoming election which may get hit by thousands of users. I don’t think our server can handle that kind of load so I was hoping to let the power of AGOL and it’s wealth of servers do the work for me.

Thanks again for help. You seem to be the go to guy for all things AGOL and custom widgets.

Cameron

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cameron,

So would one way to get the custom widget in the AGOL be to create the app on Dev Edition and download it. Then import as an application in AGOL. Just a random thought haven’t tested it.

No. The reason why is importing an app with a custom widget would be a big security risk for AGOL as the custom widget could introduce malicious code.

Adri2cPérez_Beneito
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

You can keep you custom WAB app in a web server, and refer it in AGOL as 'Document Link'..

Cheers

0 Kudos