Using SQL database in Ops Dashboard

06-11-2018 07:17 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a user that created a really great ops dashboard; however he is using static data from excel spreadsheets as layers for the information displayed. I would like to make that dynamic and have it pull the data directly from our SQL database.  What is the best way to set that up, if someone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is your enduser creating XY event layers from the excel spreadsheets?  If so, use the layer you currently have and migrate it to your SQL Server database making sure your fields are appropriate for a SQL Server database.  Then you can create a truncate and append task to copy the data from excel to the SQL Server database via an intermediate XY event layer that is the source of data.  

Do you require a live-link to data or can you update it on a scheduled interval (e.g. minutes, hours, days, weeks)?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kevin,

> I would like to make that dynamic and have it pull the data directly from our SQL database.  

I suggest you look into the Query Layers functionality in ArcMap. You can create a query layer in a map, then publish to a map service - the service will query your database data dynamically. Add the map service into a web map consumed by Ops Dashboard.

What is a query layer?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos