Select to view content in your preferred language

arc.select() complaining shape file is missing from layer

05-30-2018 08:43 AM
MikeCelaric
New Contributor

High level - I'm trying to pass a layer from ArcGIS Pro 2.1 through an R bridge to an R script which will do some calculations and return a data set which will be plotted as a layer.

When the R script tries to execute  distance_data <- arc.select(arc.open(distance_layer))  the following error is produced - Error in .select : shape fields missing.

If we separate out function calls to arc.open() and arc.select(), arc.open() executes but arc.select() throws the above error.

When we look at the attribute table of the layer, there is a column of data type 'Geography' for the layer which displays as 'Point.'  If we look at the data as it is in the database table, it appears as a long Hex value.  This field is also of data type 'Geography' in the database table.  So, to me it looks like I do have a shape field.

Why is arc.select() not liking this?  More importantly, how do we remedy this?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ShaunWalbridge
Esri Regular Contributor

Mike,

You're probably long past this question, I missed it when you posted it (over a year ago!).

It sounds like you're trying to access a database engine which stores its geometries in a GEOGRAPHY type. In this case, you'll need to pass in a layer that references the underlying database connection -- the bridge doesn't have the ability to directly specify a query to a database.

Hope that helps,

Shaun

0 Kudos