Editor tracking and SQL update of Enterprise geodatabase

Jump to solution
05-17-2018 06:02 AM
NicolasGIS
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

I was surprised to notice that updating an archived table view as described here:

Mise à jour de données non versionnées de géodatabase dans Oracle avec SQL—Aide | ArcGIS Desktop 

does not update the editor tracking fields.

The archiving functionnality works but not the tracking editor.

Is it an expected behavior ? I searched in the documentation and found no mention of it. Maybe I missed it but I think it should be documented somewhere that the tracking editor is not working when updating geodatabase with SQL from the view.

Is there any work-around ?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KevinDunlop

After reading your question, I was curious so I set up a test case in my GDB (SQL Server/ArcGIS 10.6).  I went into the backend of the view and looked at its triggers.  It appears that the ArcGIS Desktop software handles the editor tracking field values since the view triggers does not generate them itself.  Therefore, a workaround would be for your SQL statements to included the values for the tracking fields.  

View solution in original post

2 Replies
KevinDunlop

After reading your question, I was curious so I set up a test case in my GDB (SQL Server/ArcGIS 10.6).  I went into the backend of the view and looked at its triggers.  It appears that the ArcGIS Desktop software handles the editor tracking field values since the view triggers does not generate them itself.  Therefore, a workaround would be for your SQL statements to included the values for the tracking fields.  

NicolasGIS

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. Indeed, that could work. I had thought that it was handle at the database level.

Wish I had noticed that before.

Thanks

0 Kudos