Excel and XY points

05-13-2018 09:44 AM
LeighBrooks
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGIS Pro. Having trouble adding an XY point (lat/long) to see where it is like you could do in ArcMap, don't see how you can do this. Tried creating an Excel file with the lat/longs and displaying XY data (right clicking the table). That brings up the Make XY Event Layer, but my lat and long fields are not recognized as X field and X field and I don't see how to add them. I tried the conversion too to convert Excel to a table but when I run it I get a failed error, ERROR 000055: Cannot create a Query Table for this workspace. My Excel header uses no prohibited word and no funky characters that I am aware of.

Can anyone please help me with

1) how to add a quick lat/long to view location on map

2) how to use Excel so lat/longs show as points

Thank you.

Leigh

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The process is effectively the same, which suggests that there may be something wrong with your coordinates.

Perhaps showing the first couple of rows of the spreadsheet would help.

Longitude is X, Latitude is Y.  Decimal degrees is the only format directly supported without extra hoops to leap through.

LeighBrooks
New Contributor

Dan,

Thank you so much, that was the problem. My Excel data was in another format. I converted to decimal degrees and it is working. Not an easy fix though.

Leigh

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
LeighBrooks
New Contributor

Great to know! I tried it on another Excel sheet someone sent me tonight with lat/longs in one field and it worked to split them out. Really appreciate the help, Dan.

Leigh

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

glad it worked out

0 Kudos
MervynLotter
Occasional Contributor III

You can also add single coordinates in the Locate tool, using a comma to

separate coordinates.

LeighBrooks
New Contributor

Mervyn,

That is so helpful! Thank you very much.

Leigh

0 Kudos