Having a bit of a connundrum....new job, just sent folks through an upgrade from 10.3.1 to 10.5. Prior to upgrading, I would review user's connections (database and folder) in case I had to remap their locations. What I found on numerous occasions was that the users were able to view data from our RDBMS, but when I go to look in Catalog, there is no database connection established (see attached image).
I have looked in:
- ArcCatalog > Database Connections
- Environment > Workspace
- Environment > Geodatabase
- ArcMap > Document Properties
- Old School Services file, just in case
- https://community.esri.com/thread/164335 just in case - no help
- http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/10.3/manage-data/gdbs-in-db2/preconfigure-connection-files.htm - no help
- ArcCatalog > Map Document > Set Data Source
When you read the data source it simply and properly states the Production database. I just cannot tell where the data is coming from. In addition, when I use the Set Data Source option in ArcCatalog for the .mxd it reads C:\Users\<user>AppData\Roaming\ESRI\Desktop10.2\ArcCatalog\Connection to <db>.sql but this location doesn't even exist and it was from a completely different users profile that had never been logged onto that machine.
From what I understand, the one person created an .mxd and copeid it to multiple machines. I just don't know how the're able to access the data in the RDBMS if they don't have ANY connections defined at all.
Any help would be much appreciated. I know I can add the db and change their data sources, but I'd also like to do some clean up and understand what is going on. I feel like I am missing something big and obvious here, or maybe not?