Unexpected story map behavior- desktop vs mobile

Jump to solution
04-25-2018 10:41 PM
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

I have a website where the landing page (index.html) has an iframe where I load a Cascade Story Map. On desktop, everything behaves as you would expect- first slide loads, the down arrow appears, and you can scroll down to begin exploring the story map.

If I load the website on my iPhone (or emulator in Chrome), the page loads as does the Story map within in the iframe. Unlike the desktop experience, the mobile load adds a "Tap to read full story" and doing so loads the Story Map in a new browser tab. This is not what I want. Is there any way to have the mobile load behave the same as desktop where the user can just begin scrolling down to go through the Story Map but STAY on my website? Do I need to request this as an ArcGIS Idea? Is there some sort of issue since I'm loading it inside an iframe?

Site with embedded story map

Steve

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Steve -- Unfortunately there are technical limitations with the Safari browser on iOS that prevent a live Cascade story from being embedded in an iframe on iOS devices. Starting with the June 2017 release, the behavior you described is expected when viewing a web page with an embedded Cascade story. This is not the case on Android devices.

We will continue to follow this situation to see if we are able to support a live embed on iOS in the future.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Steve -- Unfortunately there are technical limitations with the Safari browser on iOS that prevent a live Cascade story from being embedded in an iframe on iOS devices. Starting with the June 2017 release, the behavior you described is expected when viewing a web page with an embedded Cascade story. This is not the case on Android devices.

We will continue to follow this situation to see if we are able to support a live embed on iOS in the future.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Shoot. Ok, thanks Owen. At least I know it's not a bug.

0 Kudos
RichardSnell
New Contributor

Owen,

I also just came across this unexpected behaviour. A nasty surprise indeed that severely disrupts the flow of our complex Story Map which contains cascades as main stage content in a journal parent story map.

Reading you comment you specifically mention " technical limitations with the Safari browser" but I have since installed Firefox, Chrome, and Edge on an iPad to try to work around the problem and they all exhibit the same problem. Can you confirm that this is a platform specific problem affecting all browsers on IOS rather than a specific Safari issue and the only solution is to use Android (confirmed working on my Android phone).

It seems very odd that the platform affects the rendering of all browsers using their own engines.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
GustavJappevik
New Contributor

Hi Owen!

I just discovered this problem when trying to embed Cascade StoryMaps inside a Series StoryMap. Are the any plans on fixing this for the Cascade StoryMap? Do you know of any fix/workaround for live embed to work on iOS? I have downloaded the source code from github but I don't see any easy way to fix this.

0 Kudos