AnsweredAssumed Answered

iOS ipa file size

Question asked by paul.haakma on Apr 18, 2018
Latest reply on May 31, 2018 by geokeys

Hi all, just interested to get any comments on the final built ipa file sizes...

I have an app with about 40MB worth of files on disk, most of it is one 25MB tpk and then a hundred or so small graphics files.
However, since the folder is git enabled, there is about 65MB worth of hidden files, so the true size of the folder is a little over 100MB.
The whole folder zipped up comes to about 80MB.

If I remove the hidden git folder, the total files come to about 45MB.
Zipped up, these come to about 21MB.
In ArcGIS Online, the item says it is 21MB. So I'm assuming that it has uploaded the true files and ignored the hidden git ones.

After the build process, the resulting ipa file is 104MB.

And then I get the following email from Apple:

The app binary listed below was 104.3 MB when you submitted it, but will be 192 MB once processed for the App Store. This exceeds the cellular network download size limit and would require your app to be downloaded over Wi-Fi

Can someone sense check that, and verify that those built sizes are about correct? It seems a bit over the top that a zipped 21MB file ends up being a 192MB download from the store! I expect it to increase, but that seems excessive.

Although, as a comparison, the Android builds come in at 55MB and 68MB.

I have another app that has 26MB of files on disk unzipped, which translates to a 60MB ipa file. This one has a small 2MB basemap, so the difference in size on disk is about 16MB (40MB - 24MB). Using that as a baseline, I was expecting this one to come in around 75-80MB, so I'm not sure why it's over 100MB. (Note that the smaller app is using Runtime 10.2.6 and the new one is using 100.1, would that make any difference?)

Just interested in any comments, or suggestions on ways to keep the size down (other than the obvious!). I remember reading somewhere that AppStudio 3.0 I think was dropping support for 32bit iOS devices and would result in smaller installs - is that correct?

Outcomes