Join geometry feature classes

04-16-2018 01:12 AM
ErikaBaumann
New Contributor III

Is there a possibility to join the geometry of two feature classes? Which means I have a layer roads and a layer hiking and a work with representations. I make cartografic changes for my roads layer like smooth line. At the same time I would like to have the same changes for my hiking trail layer. Which tool or which solution would you recommand? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If you have Desktop (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro) you can use Append—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  or Merge—Help | ArcGIS Desktop the two featureclasses to "join" them together and handle it as one. Or you can import the symbology from one layer to the other. 

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

What Xander Bakker wrote may be your better option. Put the same feature class and whatever the distinction is in your roads to distinguish them add a new attribute for your trails.

RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III

Do  you mean you want to be able to edit them at the same  time?  Then simply put them in the same database.

I put my road, hiking, biking, and snowmobile trails all in the same feature dataset and created a geometric network for them.

0 Kudos
ErikaBaumann
New Contributor III

Hi Robert

That sounds like a possible solution. I am indeed trying to edit them all at the same time. Thanks everbody for helping!!