Saving layers and maps in ArcGIS online

04-09-2018 04:04 PM
EvanMorgan2
New Contributor II

I have been struggling to find documentation on how saving in the online version of Arcmap works. I have been encountering weird issues in saving layers and maps, issues such as:

When editing in ArcGIS online saving options can be greyed out for layers and maps… even if subsequent edits have occurred, and it seems that the save function would be available.

Sometimes an edit has been made that has not been saved, but exiting the map and returning to the map the edit seems to be “saved” regardless.

A co-worker has been making edits to a map and the save map option was greyed out, and the only option available was Save As.

Any advice or pointing me in the right direction would be very helpful!

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

My Answers in red:

Sometimes an edit has been made that has not been saved, but exiting the map and returning to the map the edit seems to be “saved” regardless.

In ArcGIS Online you don't need to save edits. The edits are saved when the feature is created or updated. 

A co-worker has been making edits to a map and the save map option was greyed out, and the only option available was Save As.

The save buttons apply to saving the web map. In your example where your co-worker can only see Save As and not Save that behavior would be expected if the co-worker did not own the map they were editing.

EvanMorgan2
New Contributor II

Hi Katie,

That is super helpful, thanks so much. I still do not quite understand what is being saved in each case. Whether it is saving a whole map or saving a particular layer, what is being saved if AGOL auto-saves edits that are made. 

Also I receive this error when I make an edit to layer within a map, do not save, and then leave the map to a different map. If edits are being auto-saved why I am receiving errors about unsaved changes.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Evan

ConorFlynn
New Contributor III

I also have questions about these issues.  Permissions in AGOL are confusing and a help guide would be very much appreciated.

DouglasDrynan
New Contributor

I also have been having issues with the file saving options when I have a web map (that I created) open.  I am an Administrator on my account, so I have full permissions to the ArcGIS Online software.  

When I make a change to my Web Map in Map Viewer, such as changing the base map, a small blue dot then appears in the bottom right corner of the file folder icon in the left side menu panel. When I click on this icon, I get the “save and open” options available to me.  There is no ”save” option even available, just the ”save as”.  When I view the details of that web map, I am listed as the owner of the file.  In the answers above, I read that if you are the owner of a file, you should have full save capabilities.  I only have save-as.  

Thanks for any help you can provide.

0 Kudos