Adding Multiple Layers from a Feature Service

04-05-2018 06:00 AM
JessicaGoodsell
New Contributor

James Tedrick

We're trying to use a feature service and include multiple layes from the service in a Survey123 app. I've noticed a number of articles indicating that the first layer will be pulled into the survey automatically when creating a form from a feature service. We've tried without success to pull other layers, or even simply change the layer that does appear along with the fields. I've also read that the submission url is layer specific, and is not tied to the feature service itself. Is it possible to add multiple form id's and submission urls to one form using multiple layers within the feature service? I should also note that when I click the "Open Submission Url" in Survey123 Connect, it gives the following error: 

Error

You do not have permissions to access this resource or perform this operation.

Error: 403
We are working off of our Portal.
Cheers,
Jessica
Tags (1)
5 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Jessica,

The submission_url is the url to the Feature Layer's item information in your portal's REST API; you are likely getting the 403 error because the item is secured in the portal and you had not logged in to REST interface of the portal (there should be a link to login in the web page you show).

What is expected currently expected of the Feature Layer item on your Portal:

- The item refers to a Feature Service's URL (ends in /FeatureService; can contains multiple layers) and not a Layer's URL (ends in /FeatureService/n , where n is a number; specifies only one layer).  Both of these references are classified as 'Feature Layer' in the Portal.

- The survey you wish to create can be started at layer 0

- All other tables to be included on the form are related to layer 0 through a sequence of 1:M relationships.

We do have an enhancement request to enable the selection of the form will start with.

Survey123 does not support submitting data to two different Feature Services from the same form.

0 Kudos
JessicaGoodsell
New Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for the response.

You're correct, there is a login on the web page for the REST interface.

When I log into it, I can no longer access the REST API. Instead, it

redirects me to my User page in the REST API Portal interface. When I would

then try to re-click the "Open Submission Url" it would take me again to

the error. A colleague of mine did find a work around that worked for both

of us:

Login with credentials.

In a new tab, return to the error page and copy a portion of the url

(/content/items/.

That allowed us to actually access the page.

For the Feature Layer item in our portal, I don't think I articulated what

we are trying to do very well (it was early and sufficient caffeine had not

been consumed).

The feature service we want to link contains several layers. We're trying

to build a form that will allow us to access all of those layers and

automatically send the data collected back in the field for each of those

layers to the corresponding feature class in our portal so that it is

automatically updated and saved on our SQL Server. So far, we've been able

to do so for only the first layer within the feature service. The survey

isn't listing any other tables (layers) in the form settings or the schema

(where I go to verify it's on the form). Does this mean that I will need to

remove all the layers from a single feature service and place them in their

own feature services and then create separate forms for each rather than

placing them all into the same form and feature service?

Since you work at ESRI, are we able to phone you and do a share screen so

you can see exactly what we are trying to do?

Cheers,

Jessica

JamesTedrick

Hi Jessica,

It sound like the subsequent layer don't have a relationship class that connects them to the first layer.

Yes, you can contact me- the best way would be to e-mial me directly at jtedrick AT Esri.com; form there we could find a time that could work for a call.

0 Kudos
deleted-user-TGjKGJSkdM9q
New Contributor

Hi James,

We are trying to accomplish the exact same thing as Jessica in this thread (using a single survey to log data into different individual layers contained within a single feature service), however it seems that you guys were able to resolve the issue off of GeoNet. The only difference in our situation is that we are not working in Portal with this data yet - it is still being served through ArcGIS Online servers.

I'd really appreciate it if you could share your insights on this!

Thanks,

Lindsay

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Lindsey,

The basics of this are outlined at Use Survey123 with existing feature services—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS .  Multiple layers within the same service are supported when they are in a 1-to-many relationship using GUID fields as the key field between the tables.

0 Kudos