Host custom WAB on Portal

04-04-2018 02:31 PM
CCWeedcontrol
Occasional Contributor III

Is it possible to host a custom a custom WAB app(built in WAB Developer) on Portal or does it have to hosted on ArcGIS server?

5 Replies
AnthonyRyanEQL

All it needs is a web server. I have depolyed several apps different ways

• Hosted a custom WAB app on the same VM as my Portal instance and WebAdaptors
  • On a separate web server VM

All need to go through the same configuration/registration process and a Portal item exists for them

I haven't tried to see if the custom app can/be embedded into Portal

0 Kudos
CCWeedcontrol

VM - virtual machine? how are you hosting on the same VM as Portal, in iis?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi CC Weedcontrol,

> Is it possible to host a custom a custom WAB app(built in WAB Developer) on Portal or does it have to hosted on ArcGIS server?

Portal for ArcGIS does NOT support uploading custom web apps within its directories. You can create your custom web apps (e.g., with Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition), host them on a web server - then you can register the location of the web app in Portal as a new item.

Add items—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

The web app is physically stored "outside" of Portal on a web server, but Portal members can find the web app in Portal - by searching and finding the Portal item.

Hope this helps,

CCWeedcontrol

"Web server", so the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition applications can be actually hosted on ArcGIS Server it self? If they can be where are application files hosted in iis?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi CC Weedcontrol,

> ... so the Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition applications can be actually hosted on ArcGIS Server itself?

No, the Web AppBuilder apps can be hosted on the same machine where ArcGIS Server is installed on, but NOT within the Server site.

For example, you could have the ArcGIS Server component installed on machine A with Windows OS. Machine A might also have Windows IIS (web server) with the ArcGIS Web Adaptor installed. You could host the Web AppBuilder apps within IIS, for example at C:\inetpub\wwwroot

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos