slope map

04-02-2018 11:22 AM
MattFlynn2
New Contributor

how do I customize the coloring of the terrain: slope degrees map?

i want to see all the land sloping 0-3% and nothing else.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

query the slope raster for slopes <3% (raster calculator or the Con tool amongst several methods)

It will produce an indicator grid of values 0 and 1.  Set the 0 to no color and 1 to whatever you want

MattFlynn2
New Contributor

Ok, I'll clarify. I am a novice at GIS; haven't used it in 15 years.

I'm on ArcGIS Desktop. I loaded the "Terrain: Slope Map" and the "Terrain: Slope in Degrees" map from ArcGIS's online portal into my project. I have zoomed into the area in interest (USA southwest deserts), opened the Raster Functions/ Calculator. Now I have no idea what to enter in the boxes for "Raster Variables" box = box and the Expression box. I'm assuming the Expression box is something like Value<3, but is "Value" a legitimate Raster Variable? Do I need to crop the raster area before I proceed? Do I leave Cellsize Type as the default of "Max of" and Extent Type as the default "Intersection of"? The help docs state that the Terrain: Slope Map is an on-the-fly server-side calculation for visualization purposes. It says the Terrain: Slope in Degrees map is for analysis. On which do I run the calculator, and what are the variables?

When I looked in the help docs, their calculator page screenshots look nothing like the Raster Function pane I have on my screen. I'm an architect, not a GIS developer. Thanks for the help.

Matt

0 Kudos