AnsweredAssumed Answered

Can I filter a FeatureLayer by a custom geometry

Question asked by mike.hill@woodside.com.au_Woodside on Mar 28, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 by rscheitlin

Hi I'm using ArcGIS JS API 3.21 and Web Appbuilder for Developers 2.7.

I'm defining and adding a feature layer from a map service to my map, giving it a custom unique value renderer and setting a definition expression and it is working fine. The final thing I need to do is to filter it by a custom polygon geometry. In the service you can pass custom geometry to a query, I just need to find out how to set a filter on my feature layer using the same geometry.

I've tried using MODE_SELECTION and then selecting features with the geometry, but this gets rid of my unique value renderer in favour of the selection symbol. I'm pretty sure I can't set a unique value renderer as the selection symbol and even then that would be a bit hacky.

The user needs to generate a custom selection of features from the map using attribute filtering and custom polygon filtering, and once they are happy with their selection the features are submitted via a HTTP request to an ordering system. The user only wants their currently selected features to appear on the map.

Something like this would be good:

var featureLayer = new FeatureLayer(layerUrl, {
mode: FeatureLayer.MODE_SNAPSHOT,
outFields: [field],
id: OverLayerID,
showAttribution: false
});
featureLayer.setRenderer(renderer);
featureLayer.setDefinitionExpression(expr);
featureLayer.setInputGeometry(geometry); <------  something like this would be perfect
this.map.addLayer(featureLayer);

The featurelayer definition expression and input geometry can be updated on the fly as the user interacts with the widget.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike.

Outcomes