How do I add a basemap widget to a web map?

Jump to solution
03-14-2018 03:09 PM
MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor

I built my first story map and now I want to include the basemap widget but don't know how to add it. Anybody know how I can get this done?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

The Story Map app templates don't provide an option for enabling a basemap widget so your readers can change the basemap. This is because we want storytellers to chose the best basemaps for their maps as part of authoring to keep things simple for the reader. Basemap widgets can be added by downloading and customizing the apps but that requires some dev. See the If You're a Developer part of the Resources | Story Maps  page. 

Derek's suggestion is easier if you do want to provide a map with a basemap widget (or any other widget, such as a checkable table of contents for choosing layers: Use the Web App Builder to create an app, and then you could embed that app into your Story Map Journal, Cascade or Series instead of a web map. (The other Story Map template don't let you replace the web map with an app). See Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS . Also see these tips about embedding: Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps 

Rupert

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Micheal,

You could create a Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS app that has the Basemap widget, then embed the app within a Story Map.

Hope this helps,

RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

The Story Map app templates don't provide an option for enabling a basemap widget so your readers can change the basemap. This is because we want storytellers to chose the best basemaps for their maps as part of authoring to keep things simple for the reader. Basemap widgets can be added by downloading and customizing the apps but that requires some dev. See the If You're a Developer part of the Resources | Story Maps  page. 

Derek's suggestion is easier if you do want to provide a map with a basemap widget (or any other widget, such as a checkable table of contents for choosing layers: Use the Web App Builder to create an app, and then you could embed that app into your Story Map Journal, Cascade or Series instead of a web map. (The other Story Map template don't let you replace the web map with an app). See Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS . Also see these tips about embedding: Frequently Asked Questions | Story Maps 

Rupert

MichaelThompson2
Occasional Contributor

This is essentially what I discovered when I tried Derek's suggestion. I could create the app, add widgets as desired, but embedding the app within a Story Map didn't give the result I wanted. More digging and I eventually decided I would need to use the JS API and do some dev work like you mentioned. I don't know Jacasvript so that option is not available (yet! I am learning Javascript, now) and we are sticking with a single basemap, no widget. Thank you for following up on this question, Rupert! And thank you to Derek for the original app suggestion

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Feel free to paste a link or screenshot of why embedded the WAB app doesn't quite work for what you want to do. We'd be interested in seeing that because it is a pattern we do recommend.

Rupert

0 Kudos