Adding Network Dataset to AGOL

Jump to solution
03-06-2018 11:07 AM
ITAdcom
New Contributor

Is it possible to add a network dataset I created from my own street network in ArcMap to my ArcGIS Online account? I basically want to use the network tools available in Online, but instead of the ESRI-provided ND, I'd want to use my own.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor

@IT Adcom

ArcGIS Online does not support publishing routing services. You have to use ArcGIS Enterprise to publish routing services using your own network dataset and configure the services with your enterprise portal. This will allow you to access the same tools such as the directions pane or the analysis tools in the Map Viewer app but using your own network dataset. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DeeleshMandloi
Esri Contributor

@IT Adcom

ArcGIS Online does not support publishing routing services. You have to use ArcGIS Enterprise to publish routing services using your own network dataset and configure the services with your enterprise portal. This will allow you to access the same tools such as the directions pane or the analysis tools in the Map Viewer app but using your own network dataset. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the Closest Facility tutorial I just completed (Tutorial: Closest facility—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation) it says that if you want to use your own network dateset in AGOL, you can. 

"If you perform an analysis using ArcGIS Online, the solver references a high-quality, worldwide network dataset stored in the ArcGIS Online cloud and will use ArcGIS Online credits. If you're using your own data, no online credits are used, but you need to associate your network dataset with the project."

Based on that excerpt I am left with the assumption that you'd upload your own Network dataset to AGOL specifically? Is this tutorial dated possibly since its directions appear to contradict your answer above?

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor

"If you perform an analysis using ArcGIS Online, the solver references a high-quality, worldwide network dataset stored in the ArcGIS Online cloud and will use ArcGIS Online credits. If you're using your own data, no online credits are used, but you need to associate your network dataset with the project."

I think this is just a matter of unclear text.  I will make a note for us to update the tutorial text to make it clearer in the future.

When you create a network analysis layer in Pro, you must choose the network data source you want to use to perform the network analysis calculations.  This is the road network the analysis will be based off of.  You can choose one of several options:

1) ArcGIS Online - this uses high-quality data that Esri hosts. You cannot edit this data.  If you use this service, it consumes credits.

2) Your own network dataset.  This is something you make or purchase yourself and have locally on your own machine.  It doesn't cost anything to use this.

3) A non-ArcGIS Online portal service - If you have ArcGIS Enterprise and your own portal, you can create your own network analysis services on this portal and consume them from Pro.

The Network Analysis drop-down on the Analysis ribbon shows the current network data source and allows you to change it if desired.

0 Kudos