Error HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a COM component

02-15-2018 05:16 AM
Labels (1)
PrernaGahlaut
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm a research scholar and using arcHydro for morphometric analysis. After 2-3 successful attempts, it is not working properly. I am unable to do catchment polygon processing after catchment grid delineation of my DEM. Everytime a error massage ''Hresult e_fail has been returned from a call to a com component" appears. i tried to delete all temp. files, related to my previous attempts and re-installed arcHydro but problem is unsolved.

Does anyone know what the cuase of this error could be? And solution of this problem also.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III

This is a common error,  the solution to which eludes many. The answer could be found in ArcHydro Problem Solvers. Go there and search the page for "hresult" and you'll find some discussion on it.

One of the tips is to run your project on your local PC and not on the network. That is, put the mxd and all geodatabase the project creates on your local machine. There is something about saving the output over a network that slows things down and causes problems.

Also, put your own data in a geodatabase (agree stream, inner walls, etc.). This is more stable than shape files and for some reason I stopped having errors once I did this.

Best,

Mark

0 Kudos
BrendenMclane
New Contributor II

In addition to moving my data to my C drive, I found that I also needed to move the Python script, through which I was running ArcHydro, to the folder where my data was stored on my C drive, to avoid the "hresult" error.

Previously the script was on my organization's network and I would progressively lose ArcHydro tools to the "hresult" error. What is very strange is that everything worked on the network at the start of my project (including data storage), but as I did more runs and fleshed out my script, I began encountering the error in one ArcHydro tool after the next. After finding a work around for the tool I needed, the script would run ok for a while and then another tool would break. It was the same whether I was using the default ArcHydro toolbox or the Python toolbox. Finally I had to move everything to local storage and am now encountering no errors.

I am running ArcGIS and ArcHydro 10.5 in IDLE.

Thanks for the tips about local storage.

Brenden

0 Kudos