Problems adding images to a select multiple question on Survey123.

02-08-2018 11:33 AM
CatherineMurphy
New Contributor

I want to add images next to the choices for a select multiple question. The choices are species of plants and I want to add images for faster and easier plant identification. Presently, the images appear only in the computer based survey and, if I add more than one image, the images do not appear with the corresponding choices. Also, if I add more than one image, the images scramble the list appearance of the choices. I also cannot adjust the size of the image that appears. It needs to be reasonably large for users of the application to recognize the plants. I have tried through the settings in the computer application and also by resizing and optimizing the images for web using IrfanView, neither changed a thing.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
BrandonArmstrong
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Catherine,

Would it be possible to provide your XLSForm and media folder to me so that I can test the behavior that you have mentioned?  If you would prefer to send it to me in a private message, please feel free to do so by responding to the private message that I will send you in GeoNet.

Also, I am assuming that you are referencing the documentation linked below when setting up your form...

Media—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

Thank you,

Brandon

0 Kudos
JeffreyLonneker1
New Contributor

It sounds like you are using the web builder, but here is how I did it in Connect.  Need to be sure the image file is in the 'media' folder for the survey.  For my veg survey i have it setup as yes/no questions.  So, in the choices tab I have CommonTansy.jpg in the 'image' field for my TansySelect list 'Yes' value.  

I don't think you can add more than one image and scaling, or zooming, doesn't seem to be possible on the app.  I've tried and the image is a static size, no zooming.  Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
FranciscoRodriguez3
New Contributor II

Catherine Murphy‌ Did you ever figure this out? I have added images to the to my choices in a select multiple question and it displays as expected in  Survey123 Connect see below: 

However when I publish this to the web, my web based survey fails to display the thumbnail in the same fashion as Survey123 connect see below: 

Is it possible to add images to a list of choices? Brandon Armstrong

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Francisco,

Images for multiple choice questions are currently supported in the web form.

FranciscoRodriguez3
New Contributor II

Thanks for the prompt reply James.I been searching for awhile to see if it was possible.   

-Cheers

Francisco

0 Kudos
G_A_Venhorst
New Contributor II

Hello, How can I have the image appear in the report?

Have a simple yes / no question.

In the survey123 there is an image with yes and no.

When creating a report via the website I only get to see the yes or no, not the corresponding image.

Gerard

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Gerard,

You refer to an image by the question name, the same as any other question; refer to Feature report templates—Survey123 for ArcGIS | ArcGIS for more details.  Note that this is not supported if you use ArcGIS Enterprise.

0 Kudos
G_A_Venhorst
New Contributor II

Hi, 

Thank you for your response, but I still don't get it.

You can see this in survey123.

In the report I just want to see this at the question.

How do I set this within the template?

Gerard

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Gerard,

My apologies, I misunderstood the form you had; the screen captures helped clarify that.  The images attached to the question are not directly available in the feature report system, but have to be added to the template manually; you can then use an ${if ...} statement (see the conditional formatting section) to hide or show the content based on the answer:

0 Kudos