I want to create an add-in for ArcGIS that allows users to connect to my own database. How do I do that using Python?

02-07-2018 11:51 AM
TrungNgo
New Contributor

Please let me know if you want more information about my database.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

Please start HERE to get an add-in setup. 

Also, you'll probably have to be more specific to what database you are working with and what you hope to accomplish to get best responses.

TrungNgo
New Contributor

Thanks I will let you know once I get more information for the database.

0 Kudos
TrungNgo
New Contributor

So, basically I need to create an add-in for ArcGIS that will connect to my company's postgresql database using an API token. Is there any tutorial that can show me how to do that using Python?

0 Kudos
LukeWebb
Occasional Contributor III

How do you connect to it inside ArcMAP...using normal techniques?  (Does it work as a standard 'add database connection', or do you require to connect via OLE DB methods?)

(I work in a Microsoft SQL Server shop)

0 Kudos
JamesCrandall
MVP Frequent Contributor

I think you are going to have to be much more specific.  Are you talking about PostgREST or PostgreSQL?  It sounds like the first if you're wanting to use an API with token authentication, but again, you'll need to provide more detail I think.  (also: I don't claim to be informed on postgre, but noticed the language you used might help others to provide input).

0 Kudos
TrungNgo
New Contributor

Hi James, yes it is PostgREST. I have attached a photo that shows the response when I make a request through the web API. Please ask me more questions if needed. I am pretty new to this kind of stuff too. Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos