Definition Query Kills Sorting

02-02-2018 04:35 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a layer that I have sorted. When I select features or use the "I" button the results are sorted as expected. When I apply a definition query to the layer, the results are no longer sorted.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Since you posted this question under Web GIS, am I correct in assuming you are interacting with this layer in the AGOL or Portal map viewer?  Or, are you using this layer in a desktop client?

And when you say you "have a layer," what kind of layer?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks,

The mxd is authoring a map service, so step one is to get data to sort in mxd.

I have actually gotten it to sort by changing the "Search Order" parameters on the Definition Query tab from "spatial" to "by attribute."

However, when I select the features in the map service, they do NOT sort correctly. The sort field is a date field and maybe that is introducing complexity the software can't handle.

The features are wells with one for each sample date, so they are stacked. When you select one, you are selecting all wells stacked in that location, and the Portal for ArcGIS popup window is not sorting them by date.

Thanks for your time.

Randy

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Did you sort the information by simply doing this on a field (or multiple fields) in the attribute table or did you use the Sort—Help | ArcGIS Desktop  tool that creates a new output where the resulting featureclass or table is sorted?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

The latter - I used the sort tool. The records are "physically" sorted. The popup window in Portal for ArcGIS is the only thing that doesn't know this

Thanks,

Randy

0 Kudos