Thought I would start a discussion on editing related tables. I am finding this process frustrating as it doesn't appear to be very flexible. I simply want to edit attributes in a related table and not allow any geometry changes. For example, a user selects a parcel and adds/edits a zoning category and rezone number from a related table. I have a parcel layer that has a relationship class with a zoning table (1-M). That part works fine. Editing it in a simple manner is pretty tricky. Here is what I have tried:
- Editing it in the web map - As far as I know you cannot enable editing only on attributes. The option to add a feature appears to be available which I definitely do not want. When I click on a parcel and select Edit in the popup, related fields do not appear....only the parcel number of the layer, even though I have the edit boxes checked in the Configure Attributes window for the related fields that I want to edit. If I disable editing for the layer, it disables editing on the table automatically.
- Crowdsource Manager template - It appears this template is set up to edit attributes related to point features that was added by a Crowdsource reporter application. I need to edit attributes related to existing polygon features.
- Batch Attribute widget - This would be the ideal widget to use as our users may want to edit the same attribute for multiple records (change all zoning categories to RH-2 for a subdivision for example). This widget does not work with related tables. You can select by a related attribute but can't edit it.
- Smart Editor widget - Unfortunately, this widget does not work with related tables
- Edit Widget - This appears to be the only way to edit related attributes but the process is excruciating. First, you click on the New Selection icon to select polygon(s). Once selected, you have to click on it again or select the Attributes button to bring up the pop-up. The Related table appears at the bottom of the pop-up with an edit icon. Clicking on that takes me another page that just shows the Related records again. You have to click on that to finally brings up the attributes to edit. I'm not sure if clicking three times just to get to the attributes is really going to work with users, especially if you can only do this one feature at a time. Plus, there is a delete button on the bottom that will delete the feature.....I don't seem to be able to disable that...even if I disabled the "Allow geometry updates" when publishing the service.
Am I missing anything?