Select to view content in your preferred language

Create a Story Map Tour with more than 99 points using an existing online map

Jump to solution
01-22-2018 11:03 AM
GIS_AdministratorCity_of_GP
Occasional Contributor

Hi everyone, I have been able to create a story map tour using this approach but for some reason, it has a hard cap of 99 points. Is there are a way we could show more 99 points on a story map tour? We have more than 99 playgrounds in our city and we would like to use a picture-driven story map to present them.
Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi -- Yes, currently Map Tour has a limit of 99 points unless you create your own icons, download the code, and host it on your own server.

If you'd like to show more points I'd suggest using the Story Map Shortlist app, which lets readers more easily browse a larger set of places.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi -- Yes, currently Map Tour has a limit of 99 points unless you create your own icons, download the code, and host it on your own server.

If you'd like to show more points I'd suggest using the Story Map Shortlist app, which lets readers more easily browse a larger set of places.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

GIS Administrator City of GP -- I branched your reply to this question to a this thread since it's a new topic, but that lost your reply to my message above. Here it is:

Thanks for the prompt response.

I tried the Stroy Map Shortlist app which is in beta. It allowed me to import more than 99 places from a map and automatically organized it according to my theme column.

Does the story map places data gets automatically updated when the source map's hosted feature layer gets updated or do we have to reimport everytime there is a change?

For example, on day one we have 106 playgrounds and we create a shortlist. On day 100 we get a new playground in a new neighbourhood or we update some images. Does the shortlist automatically pick these changes from the feature layer?

Yes, the Shortlist will pick up changes to your point layer. Use the "as-is" option when creating your Shortlist from an existing web map with your places. See this FAQ for more detail.

Owen Evans
brynk
by
New Contributor

Is there a way to add more points to an already existing map? Also, is there a user friendly guide on how to download the version? I have tried many times to figure it out but I am not a coder.

0 Kudos
TimSolomonson
Emerging Contributor

@GIS_AdministratorCity_of_GP its incredibly frustrating there's no mention of this at the outset of creating a new map tour!  Why the arbitrary cap.  ESRI sets these frustrating limitations for 'simplicity and they end up creating major headaches for users who aren't well verses in the code writing and more in-depth program editing side of the fence...makes being a user extremely frustrating and tends, at least in my organization, to dissuade users from trying new ESRI offerings because inevitable dead-ends like these are encountered.

Simply suggesting using a new app isn't going to make use of the existing map tour we've created.  Also, no suggestion on how to create 'your own icons, download the code, and host it on your own server'?

0 Kudos