Issue importing CSV to Feature Service

01-22-2018 12:28 PM
GregHeide
New Contributor

I am having issues within importing csv files into a feature service. When I import the csv to feature service everything seems fine in the details page, but when I bring that feature service into a map the points will not display (little circle saying to zoom in or too many features). I zoom in and nothing changes.It is not because there are too many data points, there are only five entries. The data is from the Getting to Know Web GIS exercises book Chapter 3.  I tried looking for help on Geonet, but most issues are related to referencing to many data points, but that is not the issue. It seems like there is a problem with csv files importing and I am not sure why. I tried making a different csv file form excell, same issue.

I can bring the csv file directly into a map as a layer and it displays correctly. So it seems to me an issues with converting the csv file into features service.is the problem, but I am not sure why. 

Has anyone run into a issue with converting a CSV files to feature service but the map won't display the points. Any help is appreciated.

Below is the file that I got form the ESRI press website that I am trying to import but having issues with.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are only five records... the headers are fine, but your coordinates lack detail

Pothole, test, test, -118, 34, 10/21/2013,.... snip

so the longitude and latitude (-118, 34) have no decimals, therefore the 5 points  are on top of one another

0 Kudos
GregHeide
New Contributor

Yes, I know. I tired adding in some different coordinates that would separate out the five points before trying to make it a feature service. No difference. The data is in the feature service table, but the points will still not show up. I know where they are supposed to be, when I select in the area, a blue box shows up, but no point is visible and there is the circle in the legend saying to get closer or too many data points. 

0 Kudos