ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1- SQL Server Database 2016 connection error

01-17-2018 09:06 AM
Roxana_ElenaUrdea
New Contributor III

arcgispro 2.0 sql servers 

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect to a SQL Server 2016 from ArcGIS PRO 2.0.1 and I'm fancing this ERROR: Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance. After fill in all the parameters I am able to see the database list but when I click OK it turnes into this message:

Specifications:

•  Microsoft SQL Server 2016 (SP1) - 13.0.4001.0 (X64)   Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation  Developer Edition (64-bit) on Windows Server 2016 Standard 6.3 <X64> 
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.0.1 running on a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

Note:

• SQL Server is installed on a different machine

Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thank you

Roxana

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

You might need to install a SQL Server native client in order to make the connection.  This is just a theory, but it's something you can test.

0 Kudos
Roxana_ElenaUrdea
New Contributor III

I already have installed Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 2012 and ODBC Driver 13 for SQL Server. Still not working.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

A new update for ArcGIS Pro is out. ArcGIS Pro 2.1. They updated the WebHelp pages with ArcGIS Pro 2.1 requirements, so somehow I am unable to check the previous Pro 2.0.1 requirements:

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Can you update and check....

Roxana_ElenaUrdea
New Contributor III

Hi Asrujit,

the new release of 2.1 resolved my problem.

I still have a doubt that the DEV version of the SQL Server wasn't recognized bur ArcGIS Pro.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

That shouldn't happen as the official Esri WebHelp suggests that Developer Edition is supported (though not as a Production Environment).

Microsoft SQL Server database requirements for ArcGIS Pro 2.1—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

Supported database versions

Enterprise/Standard/Developer* editions

0 Kudos
KrishnaRohitYejju
New Contributor II

Hi Roxana,

Could you verify if your database or SQL Server Instance created with 'case-sensitive' collation. By right click on the instance or the database > Select Properties > Under General page > Verify Maintenance.

0 Kudos
RickGeittmann
Occasional Contributor II

You may need to add the dynamic port number to your connection string if you are connecting to a Named Instance

[server name]\[named instance],port number

Use a comma after the string and before the port number with no spaces

0 Kudos