Why does ArcGIS Server change path variable to g_ESRI_variable_1?

01-04-2018 12:03 PM
DevonCanady
New Contributor II

I've had a problem with my geoprocessing service finding the data it needs for execution. I found out what's causing this is ArcGIS's assignment of a new variable "g_ESRI_variable_1" in the new copy of the code that lives on the server. However when I try to edit the code back to its original state it says "Permission Denied".

Here is the top few lines of my original script:

import os, regUtil, regQueries, urllib, sys
from arcpy import GetParameterAsText

outpath = GetParameterAsText(1)

root_path = r'\\NewCaspian\BanksNew\Data\tiger\TigerData'

And here are the top few lines of the copy in the arcgisserver folder made upon creation of the geoprocessing package:

import os, arcpy
g_ESRI_variable_1 = os.path.join(arcpy.env.packageWorkspace,u'tigerdata')
# Esri end of added variables

# Esri start of added imports
import sys, os, arcpy
# Esri end of added imports

import os, regUtil, regQueries, urllib, sys
from arcpy import GetParameterAsText

outpath = GetParameterAsText(1)

root_path = g_ESRI_variable_1

It seems very weird that ArcGIS would actually go in and change a variable automatically. Why does this happen and how would I either prevent this from happening or edit the script back to the way I wrote it?

2 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

Did you republish the service after registering the data source per your other post, https://community.esri.com/thread/207330-geoprocessing-task-not-using-provided-file-paths?

It sets the path to the arcgisinput folder as it couldn't determine if it had at least read access to the original directory the data was in.  It packages the data with the file that is uploaded to the server to create the service and unpacks the data in a location it definitely has access to, (the arcgisinput folder).  Once you register the data source as a data store, overwrite the original service or publish a new one.  You may still see a variable created for any input data, but it should reference the original path.

DevonCanady
New Contributor II

No I hadn't republished the service after registering the data, thanks! After doing so the path it referenced was the original path. However, it also add '\\0\\v101\\tigerdata" to the path so I was still getting the error but it at least was pointing to the file server. My workaround for now is just to manually set the g_ESRI_variable1 to my root path after ArcGIS set it.

0 Kudos