Values null in SQL but not in ArcCatalog

Jump to solution
01-04-2018 08:42 AM
MichaelMitchell5
New Contributor III

If I view a table in ArcCatalog the Name column has values that are not null.  There is no domain associated with this column.

If I query the same table in SQL the same values display as null.

I've noticed this with multiple tables and the only thing that seems similar between them is that the null value columns come after the Shape column.  Is the enterprise geodatabase somehow storing values that have been added post import differently?

The SQL query is simply

SELECT *
FROM gis.dbo.REGIONS

Every column after shape is null.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Is the Data registered as Versioned?

If yes, then from the Database end, query the Versioned View created for that data. That should show the desired results.

When a Feature Class(FC) is Registered as Versioned, two extra tables, known as Delta Tables (a- & d- Tables) are created on the Database end. This is in addition to the Base Table (Table with same name as the FC) already created when the FC was created in ArcCatalog.

Edits made to these Versioned FC will move to the Delta Tables and remain there, till you perform the Compress operation(and Reconcile\Post of other versions when applicable).

The Versioned View is created for that FC, when it was Registered as Versioned. This View shows data from all 3 Tables (Base Table, a- Table & d- Table).

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Is the Data registered as Versioned?

If yes, then from the Database end, query the Versioned View created for that data. That should show the desired results.

When a Feature Class(FC) is Registered as Versioned, two extra tables, known as Delta Tables (a- & d- Tables) are created on the Database end. This is in addition to the Base Table (Table with same name as the FC) already created when the FC was created in ArcCatalog.

Edits made to these Versioned FC will move to the Delta Tables and remain there, till you perform the Compress operation(and Reconcile\Post of other versions when applicable).

The Versioned View is created for that FC, when it was Registered as Versioned. This View shows data from all 3 Tables (Base Table, a- Table & d- Table).

MichaelMitchell5
New Contributor III

That's a good question.  That particular data is not registered as versioned.

0 Kudos
MatthewDobson
Occasional Contributor

On the same path; is archiving enabled?

MichaelMitchell5
New Contributor III

Arching, editor tracking, versioning, and attachments are all disabled.  This data doesn't use any domains or relationships.  As far as I can tell it appears to be a typical state boundary feature class with a few extra columns added.

0 Kudos
RexRobichaux2
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Michael-

Would you be able to post a screenshot of the attribute table of one of these feature classes / tables from ArcMap as well as a screenshot of what you are seeing when you do a simple select * from xxx; table in your SQL Server geodatabase? Also it would be helpful to see a shot of the field / column list and their SQL stored types in management studio- for example: 

What version of ArcGIS Desktop, SQL Server, and version of geodatabase? Thanks!

Kind regards,

Rex 

MichaelMitchell5
New Contributor III

Ha!  It would help if I was looking at the same database.  I'm working on cleaning up a little data duplication and was looking at the same data in two different databases.

However, Asrujit was correct saying that I was seeing nulls because of a version in one of the databases.  Thank you!