Summarize Within in ArcGIS Pro error

12-29-2017 09:30 AM
DavidStone1
New Contributor II

I am trying to run a Summarize Within in ArcGIS Pro but am having trouble. I am looking for a quicker way to run a Summarize Within for about 15,000 input polygon circles (radius of 5 miles) summarizing  a set of about 2000 unique input summary feature polygons. One input polygon is likely to overlap with several summary features, which is likely slowing down the tool. I have run a similar function except the input polygons had a 1 mile radius instead, and while it took some time, it did not take over 12 hours, program crashing, etc.

I was thinking of utilizing a for loop in the Python functionality for selecting pieces of the layer by ObjectID and running the tool several times automatically but hadn't figured out a way of doing so. Has anyone had this issue and figured out a workaround?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

summarize within....

The geometry could be part of the contributing problem since a circle (aka buffer) is represented by an n-gon (probably still a 360 sided feature) so there are tons of edges and points involved in the intersect testing.  Tiling into smaller areas may help using the code example in the link as a starting point

0 Kudos