How to create/edit an annotation layer using ArcPy

12-21-2017 04:55 AM
ZhiyouSha
New Contributor

Hello all, could you anyone tell me how to create/edit an annotation layer using Arcpy? thanks you very much.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can only use arcpy to call tool functionality as in the code example here

http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcmap/latest/tools/data-management-toolbox/update-annotation-feature-c...

0 Kudos
ZhiyouSha
New Contributor

Thanks Dan.

but it seems this tool can't be used to create annotation layer or edit the annotation shape. The tool only can update the layer's attributes.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I suspect my point, since unless there are no tools in the ArcToolbox to do what you want or there isn't a specific arcpy function, then the functionality hasn't been exposed at that level of functionality.  

The easiest way to figure out whether something can be done using python is to examine 

If functionality isn't in either, then python is not the vehicle that can be used.

I consider menu options and selections and other process steps mere convenience options if they indeed have a tool or arcpy equivalent

0 Kudos
BrianWilson
Occasional Contributor II

My big friendly old Arcpy Toolbox has a drawer marked "Annotation" and when I pull it open... it's empty. I appear to have no options. Just an empty drawer.

I took the ESRI class last night on annotation, I came to work this morning all fired up to put my new understanding into practice and to learn more... and find it's not possible... so disappointing.

0 Kudos