cannot connect to database in ArcGIS Pro

12-12-2017 09:37 AM
JerryLodge
New Contributor II

At my work, we have too databases, one for development and the second for production.  Both are oracle databases. I have no issues connecting to them in arcDesktop. I recently got a license to use ArcGIS Pro as we will  be converting soonish. However ArcGIS Pro will not connect to the databases we use. I keep getting the error message

"Failed to connect to the specified DBMS instance.

A database connection exception has occurred. Cannot connect to database because the database client software failed to load. Be sure the database client software is installed and configured correctly."

I'd really appreciate any help solving this.

Thanks!

15 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the 64-bit Oracle Client that is necessary to connect Pro to an Oracle database?  Desktop (ArcMap) only needed 32-bit Oracle Client as it is a 32 bit application.

JerryLodge
New Contributor II

Yes, the 64 - bit client is under:     C:Oracle/product

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have the 32bit Oracle Client also installed on the same computer to be able to use ArcMap?  If so, the order of Oracle Client in the path environmental variable might be important for it to work correctly.

JerryLodge
New Contributor II

I have 32 bit also installed. At least it should b since both programs are able to operate. Just can't connect main data base to Pro. I read somewhere earlier about setting the variable path and how that may solve the issue. I am not sure how to do that though.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Do you know how to access the environmental variables on your workstation or server (whatever it may be)?

JerryLodge
New Contributor II

Unfortunately no I do not.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Instruction for Windows 7 (Might be different for Windows 10 and you could probably do a Google search for this)

Left click on Start in lower left corner.

Dialog box should popup and on right side in middle of dialog box should be Computer

Right click on Computer and a drop-down should open with Properties on bottom

Left click on Properties and in upper left corner of Properties dialog box should be Advanced System settings

Left click on Advanced System settings and Environmental Variables should be near bottom

Navigate to PATH and make sure the path to the Oracle Client is here (You should have two Oracle Client paths as one is for 32 bit client and one is for 64 bit client).

If 32 bit client is before 64 bit client, move 64 bit client in front of 32 bit cleint and see if you can then connect to Oracle Database in Pro).  Modifying the Environmental Variables most likely requires a reboot of computer to take affect.

JerryLodge
New Contributor II

So I only see the 32-bit client. But I have installed the 64 several weeks ago.. Hmm.. There is PATH and PATHEXT but not two PATHs. I will install 64 bit once more and see if it shows.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

I would just make a copy of the path to the 32bit client and modify the copy so it points to the 64bit client location.  I would put the 64bit client first, but it might not matter as you currently don't even have a path the 64bit client anyhow and that it why it is not working.  I think this would be easier that performing a re-install which might not add this path variable the 2nd time installed since it was not done the first time.

Are you using the Instant Oracle Client?