AnsweredAssumed Answered

What process is necessary to select each row of a feature class and then perform a select by location using the individually selected rows?

Question asked by travislpreston on Dec 6, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 8, 2017 by travislpreston

I am trying to use cursor and for loop to select each row of a feature class, then select features from another feature class using select by location and the selection from the former feature class. Then add up the shape areas of the selection and out put them into a field in the first feature class. 

1. Step through each row of a feature class selecting them one at a time (Parcels)

-I tried using a cursor for this step

2. perform a select by location using the selection from the first step and another feature class (Buildings)

-I cannot figure out how to get the row to be used in the select by location

3. Sum the "shape area" of the selection from step 2

- I don't know the command to perform this step

4. Output the sum into a field in the first feature class (Parcels)

- I don't know the command to perform this step

5. divide the shape area of Buildings by the Parcel shape area to get a % of development

- I believe I can write this command but I have not been able to get this far in the code

I have not been able to find a similar python process on stack exchange. I have made several attempts at writing the code in what I feel like is a logical order but have not had any luck. Does anyone possibly have a similar code or can anyone provide me with a list of python processes to use?

Thank you

Outcomes