Publishing Custom Widget in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
11-14-2017 10:40 PM
naveenbesri
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Currenly, client is using Portal as well as ArcGIS Online and the custom widget what i am going to build should be in portal and AGOL. I knew the deployment procedure for the Portal. But, can anyone let me know the deployment steps for the ArcGIS Online???

Cheers,

Naveen

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Naveen,

> ... client is using Portal as well as ArcGIS Online ...

I am guessing you are referring to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS embedded in ArcGIS Online - in which case it does not support using custom widgets. You can use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition to leverage custom widgets, by logging into your ArcGIS Online organization.

Hope this helps,

View solution in original post

12 Replies
DerekLaw

Hi Naveen,

> ... client is using Portal as well as ArcGIS Online ...

I am guessing you are referring to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS embedded in ArcGIS Online - in which case it does not support using custom widgets. You can use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition to leverage custom widgets, by logging into your ArcGIS Online organization.

Hope this helps,

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

As Derek mentioned, for custom widgets for Web AppBuilder, you will want to use the Developer Edition.  For deploying, look Deploy your app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

For additional info on the Developer Edition, check out /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2016/03/09/web-appbuilder-developer-edition-customization-resource-list?sr=search...‌ and especially the /blogs/myAlaskaGIS/2017/03/04/web-appbuilder-the-custom-widgets-list-332017?sr=search&searchId=f6631...‌  in case something has already been written.

AmberKelly
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

Im wondering if you can clarify a bit:

When you say "You can use Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Editionto leverage custom widgets, by logging into your ArcGIS Online organization." do you mean that custom widgets can be created and consumed (via Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition i assume?) into ArcGIS Online?

My organisation currently only has ArcGIS Online, although we are expecting to move to Portal for ArcGIS in future, so this functionality would be useful.

Cheers

Amber

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Amber,

You can "add" custom widgets to use in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition, which is hosted on your own machine. When you run Developer Edition, you would sign into and connect to your ArcGIS Online organization to leverage its web maps and data resources.

Custom widgets are only stored on your own machine, they are not added to ArcGIS Online.

Portal for ArcGIS (which is part of ArcGIS Enterprise) enables you to reference custom widgets as items. FYI, Portal help topic, Add custom widgets—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
AmberKelly
New Contributor III

Clarity achieved! Much thanks Derek!

David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Hi Derek,

Is there a way to clarify this more on WebApp Builder for ArcGIS homepage?  I just went through the same experience as Amber, spending about 30 minutes to find the answer.  The WebApp Builder for ArcGIS website doesn't seem to really say that you can't build a custom widget and then host it on your ArcGIS Online account.  Just to clarify, you need your own web server or own ArcGIS Online Portal?  It's ambiguity like this from ESRI as they concentrate on the sales side that really makes it difficult for us day-to-day users.  I mean, that question isn't even in the FAQ section of the website!  Thanks.

DerekLaw

Hi David,

> Is there a way to clarify this more on WebApp Builder for ArcGIS homepage?

Can you please be more specific, on which Web AppBuildler for ArcGIS page?

> Just to clarify, you need your own web server or own ArcGIS Online Portal?

You can host your own custom widget(s) on your own web server - which can be used by Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition. FYI,

ArcWatch Tip: Add Custom Widgets to Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS Developer Edition

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos
David-Semitekol
Occasional Contributor

Well Derek, why don't you tell us?  Which website do you think clearly tells us that ArcGIS Online can't host custom widgets?  I know sometimes it is easier to just answer a question with a question, but I think you can put a little more effort into this.  Thanks.

JerryGarcia
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks Derek for helpful info.

Are there plans in the near future to support hosting custom widgets in ArcGIS Online?

Is this part of 2019 road map?

Thanks.