AnsweredAssumed Answered

Database connections in .NET applications

Question asked by MollyKFoley on Nov 13, 2017
Latest reply on Nov 15, 2017 by YLiu-esristaff

I'm a total newbie to web development, so this may be kind of a stupid question, however... I have a .NET application that calls out to a python script after a user uploads some data. This python script connects to an SDE database and manipulates the data they uploaded to insert into the database. What I'm wondering is when the application is accessed by users remotely, are they going to be able to make the database connection just because it's scripted in (e.g. arcpy.env.workspace = r'Database Connections\myDatabase.sde')? What kind of permissions would they need? When I think about it, I can access the database and run the script because my windows authentication verifies my permissions to access that database. I imagine when this application goes into production, there will need to be some alternate way to verify the user is allowed to connect to the database because even though the script resides on my computer and I'm authorized, I'm not the one accessing it. Does that make sense? 

Outcomes