citizen science manager delete data

Jump to solution
11-09-2017 04:00 PM
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone know how to delete data in the Citizen Science Manager app?  I have deployed both the Citizen Science Reporter and Manager in our organizational account.  Everything works great, but I'd like the "Managers" to be able to delete records if needed.  That doesn't seem to be a built in or a configurable option.  I can edit records, but not delete them.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly,

I've set up a Citizen Science Reporter app for the public to submit observations which can include photos.  I've also set up a companion Citizen Science Manager app which allows managers in my organization to review records and photos that have been submitted from the public.  The Reporter app has a field that I'm using as a filter, so that only records that have been reviewed (and "approved") by managers will show up in the Reporter app for public consumption.  The reason that I'd like to have a "delete record" option for both the record as well as photos is primarily for junk or spam submissions.  I'm particularly concerned about inappropriate photos being loaded.  I do have the filter in place that will prevent junk/spam/inappropriate records from showing to the public in the Reporter app (until approved by managers in the manager app).  But it would be nice to have the ability to easily delete records and/or related photos in the manager app.  Why keep the junk/spam/inappropriate content in the data?  Delete it and be done with it!  I realize that the data can be edited and deleted through other means (Map Viewer, ArcMap, ArcPro, etc.) but I was hoping for a simple and easy solution for the managers who don't have the know how for editing in other environments. 

Thanks!

Ken

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hey Ken,

There currently isn't the capability to delete records using the crowd source manager app. If you enable delete capabilities on the service, you can delete records in Map Viewer and other editing apps.

Can you provide some additional information about how your managers would be deleting data? Would they be incorrect or invalid records? IS there any mandate to keep an entire data set as entered?

You may be able to add a curating field of display and hide in your dataset and have your data managers update the data. You could then use a feature layer view to only display the approved features. This wouldn't delete the data, but it would remove it from being displayed.

Allison Muise

-Kelly 

KenMorefield
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly,

I've set up a Citizen Science Reporter app for the public to submit observations which can include photos.  I've also set up a companion Citizen Science Manager app which allows managers in my organization to review records and photos that have been submitted from the public.  The Reporter app has a field that I'm using as a filter, so that only records that have been reviewed (and "approved") by managers will show up in the Reporter app for public consumption.  The reason that I'd like to have a "delete record" option for both the record as well as photos is primarily for junk or spam submissions.  I'm particularly concerned about inappropriate photos being loaded.  I do have the filter in place that will prevent junk/spam/inappropriate records from showing to the public in the Reporter app (until approved by managers in the manager app).  But it would be nice to have the ability to easily delete records and/or related photos in the manager app.  Why keep the junk/spam/inappropriate content in the data?  Delete it and be done with it!  I realize that the data can be edited and deleted through other means (Map Viewer, ArcMap, ArcPro, etc.) but I was hoping for a simple and easy solution for the managers who don't have the know how for editing in other environments. 

Thanks!

Ken

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the additional information Ken! I understand how this would be beneficial for your workflow.

Please log this idea on the ArcGIS Ideas‌ site so others can upvote and support this idea. The context your provided is fantastic and it's always great to have additional discussions about new features as well as the capability to upvote ideas when considering new functionality.

0 Kudos