Select to view content in your preferred language

Why the meter “display unit” appears with direction letters (W, E, N, S) in ArcGIS Pro?

11-08-2017 12:42 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Why the meter “display unit” appears with direction letters (W, E, N, S) in ArcGIS Pro?

There is a major different between ArcGIS Pro and ArcMap as the first layer is added. In ArcMap, the coordinate system of data frame is defined by the first layer added. In ArcGIS Pro, this appears not to happen.

However, I couldn’t figure out why the meter “display unit” appears with direction letters (W, E, N, S) in ArcGIS Pro. Is there a way to let them appear the same as in ArcMap?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I am suspecting that in the Pro map, the data are in Geographic Coordinates and there is no projection set, so it showsn the 'm' for meters but the geographic designators as well (ie N,S,E,W) as a clue that you can't just set a map to show meters unless the map has a defined projection.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

For example, in the screenshot below, the added layer has a defined “protected coordinate system”, nevertheless, geographic designators (N,S,E,W) are still there.

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Oh that's easy

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

My question here is why they (N, S, E, W) got visible in ArcGIS Pro while we have lived without them for years and years. Do we really need to display them now in ArcGIS Pro?

Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Just a guess here - but ArcMap as it was designed used the minus side to signify E and S for coordinate systems.  In Pro, the Developers made it more obvious using N-S-E-W designations vs. plus/minus.  I'd say an UI enhancement is all.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Its a new age!