Issue in Importing shape file data into into Oracle geodatabase using sde connection

11-08-2017 06:26 AM
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Hello all,

We are using arcsde connect string to insert data from shape files into Oracle geodatabase using direct connection strings.

Everything seemed well with test data. When full data set was used to import into oracle, after inserting few thousand records application/script silently dies without throwing any error. It only happens in that environment using sde connections.

Could someone help in this scenario. It is very straight forward where we use feature cursors to read from shape files and insert data.

Regards,

Umasurya

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/managing-data?sr=search&searchId=67836751-85bf-4434-9361-c3...https://community.esri.com/groups/geodatabase?sr=search&searchId=bc31c01f-baa5-40d5-aaa8-ca12052c18a...

0 Kudos
32 Replies
rgomes
by
New Contributor III

Try to run 'Repair Geometry' before import data or split the shapefile into smaller files.

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Hi, Thank you for the response.

Source data is absolutely fine. If I run any of the shape file individually, it works correctly. Application dies only after importing few 100s(shape files) if bulk number of shape files in batch put for import into oracle sde. Ironically it won't throw any error, application simply gets killed.

Regards,

Umasurya

0 Kudos
rgomes
by
New Contributor III

Are you using ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro or just a Python script with command line?
If you are using ArcGIS Desktop just disable Background Geoprocessing in ArcMap Options > Georpcessing Options.

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Thank you. I am using arcobjects with arcgis engine version10.1.

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Hi, Could you suggest if any other options that I can try?

Regards,

Umasurya

0 Kudos
rgomes
by
New Contributor III

Could you show me the source code of this process to think another option?

Best Regards,
Rafael Gomes

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Code is very simple. Below are high level steps

Browse through the folders

Loop feature cursor for the shape file feature classes.

Insert features into SDE feature classes

Flush the sde feature class.

No CPU hike, no memory consumtion. It is very simple. But after few iterations, application silently dies with no exception. Possible error with arcsde with oracle.

0 Kudos
rgomes
by
New Contributor III

Try to grant unlimited tablespace to the user and set quota unlimited. Is a common problem with Oracle with this kind of situation but i don't know why not showing any exception or error. 

If doesn't work, try to trigger the import process inside a try/catch block to get us any tips about the source of error.

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Hi, Thank you for suggestion. All kind of exceptions are being handled. I am sure it got plenty of tablespace assigned. It bypasses everything and silently crashes. Something really weird. Is it something to do with Oracle is being in VM? that block of code won't throw any exception, simply lets the application leaves the execution.

0 Kudos