Remove target="_blank" from header link

11-01-2017 08:26 PM
MattVanderzalm
New Contributor

This seems like something that should be so easy.

I'm downloading and self-hosting a Story Map Tour app, but not compiling it myself. I'd like to change the customizable link in the upper right of the header (the one with "A story map" as the default text) so that it doesn't open in a new window. 

I've gone into index.html and removed the target="_blank" from the .msLink a tag. But that didn't do the trick.

I dug through maptour-builder-min.js and found a place where .social .msLink was being set with a target="_blank" so I removed the target there. But that didn't do the trick.

If it's being set somewhere else, I can't seem to find it in the files I have access to.

I've tried to figure out how to use custom javascript within the index.html page, but I'm not very familiar with Dojo, and I'm having trouble figuring out how to target the updated link to remove the "target" attribute.

So I thought I'd ask here. Any suggestions? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Matt

I'm not on the developer side of things so I'm not sure how to do this customization. Are you sure you want to do this though? If someone clicks on your header link and it opens in the same window as your Map Tour, your readers will lose their place in the tour if they click the back button in their browser to go back to it. Their current location in your tour isn't preserved in the browser like it is when you browse a web page like a newspaper article.

Rupert

0 Kudos