looking for command line arguements

01-18-2011 09:17 AM
KenSimoncic
New Contributor
On my program, arcmap is started in two different ways and it needs to have different behaviour depending on how it is started.  When selected from the start menu, the "getting started" display is to come up and allow the user to select their project.  When it is started from another application, the "getting started" display needs to be bypassed.  I can think of two possible solutions to this but each has issues that I don't really want to have to address.  I could figure out the registry value that gets changed when you toggle that option and then have the application that starts arc map modify the registry before starting it and then reset the value back when arcMap shuts down.  Or, I could create a blank project and load that on startup.  This also supresses the "getting started" window.  What I would really like is a command line arguement that does this same function but I haven't been able to find any documentation on command line parameters.  I know it does do some sort of parsing because I can pass an mxd file name on the command line when I execute ArcMap.exe that gets loaded immediately.  Anyone know of any documentation and/or a parameter that I could use to solve my startup issue?
Thanks
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Suggest that you make up your own command line argument.  My guess is that ArcMap will simply ignore anything that it does not understand.  I know that in Windows that you can get the command line arguments via a function call.
0 Kudos