"Load widget resource error" message when adding widget to app

09-19-2017 08:45 AM
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I am developing a widget and have gotten to the point where I want to test its deployment before I start work on the Setting page. The app that it's currently in (id=2) works properly. However, when I create a new app and try to add it, I get the dreaded "Load widget resource error". There is no message in the console indicating where it is failing.

I am using the steps outlined here on setting up widget development using Yeoman and Grunt. Any changes to my code is synchronized with the directories C:\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\server\apps\2\widgets and C:\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\client\stemapp\widgets.

I have gone through all the functions in my code and commented out everything. I have done the same with the Widget.html page and the Setting.js and Setting.html pages. I still get the error when attempting to add it to a new project. If I click OK on the message, then OK on the Settings page, when I open the widget, I get the same error message and nothing in the console.

Where do I begin tracking down the problem with the widget?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ken,

Can you share your manifest.json and a screenshot of the widget directory with it's sub-directories expanded?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is the manifest.json in the app (id=5) I'm trying to add it to

{
  "name": "SpatialPrioritization",
  "label": "Spatial Prioritization",
  "2D": true,
  "3D": false,
  "platform": "HTML",
  "version": "0.0.1",
  "wabVersion": "2.5",
  "author": "NCCOS",
  "description": "A widget for Spatial Prioritization",
  "copyright": "",
  "license": "ISC",
  "properties": {
    "inPanel": true,
    "hasLocale": true,
    "hasStyle": true,
    "hasConfig": true,
    "hasUIFile": true,
    "hasSettingPage": true,
    "hasSettingUIFile": true,
    "hasSettingLocale": true,
    "hasSettingStyle": true,
    "IsController": false
  }
}

and the directories

Let me know if you are looking for something else

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ken,

Can you try and rename the setting folder to something other than setting and then change the manifest.json to have:

"hasSettingPage": false,
    "hasSettingUIFile": false,
    "hasSettingLocale": false,
    "hasSettingStyle": false,

and test again.

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I made those changes to the widget in the stemapp folder, created a new app, and tried to add the widget. It gives me the same error.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ken,

Have you carefully checked to see if your widget.html has a nls string reference that you have not added in the string,js or may be miss-spelled?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I have commented everything out in the Widget.html and everything within all of the functions in Widget.js. There isn't anything that is attempting to use the strings.js file.

If I duplicate the original app where the widget works, the widget does work in the new app. I can open the Setting page with no error and the widget also opens with no error.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

what about deleting the setting folder completely from the widget folder structure?

0 Kudos
KenBuja
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I deleted the setting folder and made sure the manifest.json had all the "hasSetting..." properties set at false in the client/widgets folder. I still get the error when creating a new app and attempting to add the widget.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Wow, this is strange. I not sure what to tell you then... It's like the stemApp widgets folder is not getting the latest version or something.

0 Kudos