Cannot access ArcMap content in either Map Viewer or Story Maps

09-19-2017 06:25 AM
CharlieGoldberg
New Contributor

I'm just getting up and running with ArcGIS. I've created a georeferenced map package in ArcMap, and shared it to AGOL. It shows up successfully in my Content, and I can download the file and view/edit again back in ArcMap. However, I cannot open anything I create in Map Viewer, nor can I see any of my content in Story Maps. When I click to add something from My Content, there is nothing there. I am using an ArcGIS license through my institution. Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
CharlieGoldberg
New Contributor

To give you a clearer sense of the issue I'm seeing, here is how items I upload to ArcGIS Online appear:

As you can see, I am lacking an option to open in map viewer in the upper left corner, like this pre-existing map has:

So, why might I be lacking that option?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Charlie,

Map Packages aren't a file format that can be opened in the Map Viewer as they need to be opened in ArcGIS Desktop. If you want to see the data in your map package in ArcGIS Online, try publishing your data as feature layers:

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Feature layers can be opened in Map Viewer.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
CharlieGoldberg
New Contributor

Thanks for your reply, Kelly. If I understand the requirements for publishing feature layers correctly, I would need either to set up an ArcGIS server, or use the acceptable file formats (csv., .xls, or shapefiles), correct? 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

HI Charlie,

That is correct. You can also publish a hosted feature service to ArcGIS Online from ArcMap if you are using an organizational account:

Publish hosted feature layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

-Kelly

0 Kudos