AnsweredAssumed Answered

Difficulty running script on server w/ Oracle OLE DB connection; Error 000732

Question asked by ScottEvans_CCG on Aug 21, 2017
Latest reply on May 18, 2018 by ScottEvans_CCG

I recently wrote a python script to take CAMA data from an Oracle database in the Assessors' office and update a table on our enterprise geodatabase; basically just taking property ownership information from one table and updating it daily in another so we can consume it in our GIS system.  At first, I tested on my desktop machine where it ran just fine.  However, when I went to test it on our GIS server, that's where the trouble began.  It seems to not be able to connect to the Oracle database via the script, as I presented with the 'Error:  000732: < dataset name > does not exist or is not supported' error when running any tool that requires a connection as an input (e.g MakeTableView, CopyRows, TableToGeodatabase, etc).  Definitely has me stumped because I am able to connect to the database manually via an OLE DB connection in both ArcCatalog and in ArcMap; however, when run in IDLE it fails.


At first I though it might be a 32-bit vs 64-bit issue.  The desktop machine uses the 32-bit flavor of python in IDLE.  Thought perhaps the server was forcing the script to run using the 64-bit, but after running this helpful little bit of code:


import sys
print sys.version


it appears as though the server is running 32-bit as well.  


As far as I know the Oracle database we are connecting to is 11g.  However, both the server and desktop machines are using the 12c Release 2 ( 32-bit flavor of the Oracle client because the 11g client does not does support Windows 10.   Currently, my desktop machine is running 10.3.1 and the server machine is running 10.4.1, w/ python versions 2.7.8 and 2.7.10, respectively.


The only thing I haven't tested is installing the 64-bit version of the client software on the server side.  Even though IDLE tells me it's running on the 32-bit side of things, I have a suspicion that somehow the connection to the database needs a 64-bit component ...