Any way to cross-filter data by selecting features on map?

Jump to solution
08-14-2017 11:03 PM
BryanChastain
New Contributor III

This is a pretty crucial feature to me. I want to be able to click a feature on a map, and then all related charts are cross-filtered accordingly. Instead, what I see now in Insights is when I click a feature on the map, the associated elements in the related charts are highlighted, but not filtered. This may not be a big deal if your data is all 1:1, but if you're dealing with any aggregate data, then you're missing some key information.

For example, imagine you had a map of states, and then a line chart showing sales of Product X over time. Let's say this line chart is powered by data that contains sales data by state by year. In the initial view, it's showing the sum of all states for national sales over time. Ideally, however, you could click a state and then see that state's sales over time. However, instead what I'm getting now in Insights is if I click a state it just highlights the entire national sales line, but doesn't cross-filter it by the selected state.

Am I doing something wrong or is this not currently possible in Insights 2.0?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello All, 

Cross Filter capability has been added to the new Insights for ArcGIS Online 2.2 release and is mentioned in the "What's new" page: What's new—Reference for Insights | ArcGIS . This will become available for Insights for ArcGIS Enterprise 2.2 as well, which will be releasing soon. 

Thanks,

Aravind

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
AndrewVentham
New Contributor III

I think you have to apply your chosen filtering to the source data in the left-hand panel (which you can only access whilst editing the workbook) to have it take effect on all the cards in the page. It would be great to be able to link all the card filters up so that they have this behaviour, but at the moment they're card-specific. As you say, selecting features, or items on a chart, highlights related data, rather than filtering out unrelated data.

BryanChastain
New Contributor III

Yeah, that's kind of what I thought. It seems like Insights is great for private data exploration, but not so much for interactive data presentation that is publicly consumed.

DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

Hi and thank you for your Insights feedback!

We are adding the ability to define by card, to specify whether the interaction is Select or Filter in a future release of Insights for ArcGIS. This should solve your use case as described. I'll let you know when implemented (soon).

JoshPope
New Contributor II

Douglas,

Do you know if this functionality is provided in the recent 2.1 release?  It doesn't appear to be referenced in the "what's new" details: What's new—Insights web help Use tab | ArcGIS Enterprise 

Allowing ad hoc selections in the charts and map cards to apply filters across the elements in the workbook will be very valuable in supporting deeper data discovery.

0 Kudos
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

We are looking at Cross Filters in our next release, so it is not documented yet, but will soon.  thanks for your feedback!

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello All, 

Cross Filter capability has been added to the new Insights for ArcGIS Online 2.2 release and is mentioned in the "What's new" page: What's new—Reference for Insights | ArcGIS . This will become available for Insights for ArcGIS Enterprise 2.2 as well, which will be releasing soon. 

Thanks,

Aravind

0 Kudos
PaoloMazza1
New Contributor

Hi Aravind,

I am having trouble getting cross filters working. I am looking for functionality similar to Dashboards where you can select a bar on a chart from one or more charts to filter the map data.

Can you please walk me through the process of using cross filters in Insights?

0 Kudos
AravindStoryMaps
Esri Regular Contributor

Hey Paolo, 

I apologize for my late response! The way I'd like to think of "Cross Filtering" is to compare it to dynamic selection. When you select a bar in a chart card in Insights, it automatically displays all points falling within that attribute in the map card. In the background, however, you can see that this selection on the map card is in "context" of other existing points that were not selected which is presented with higher transparency so you can see what are the correct points, per se. 

Cross Filtering eliminates this context and only shows you the exact points in the map card that you need to see without all of the background transparent points. To use Cross Filters, you select one or more cards that you're interested to see this in and then click on the Cross Filter button. Now, when you make selections, this will allow you to see target selections. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thank you,

Aravind

0 Kudos