macro enable the forms ; sql server

08-08-2017 02:26 PM
KathleenWalker
New Contributor

Is it possible to enable Excel macros on survey123 forms?  I am hoping that this would allow connection to and getting data from SQL Server.

We need to be able to make Survey 123 for friendly to the enterprise.

Thank you.

#sql_server

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kathleen,

Survey123 is already able to work with the enterprise, via ArcGIS Enterprise technology (ArcGIS Enterprise | Enterprise GIS Mapping Platform ); this is the on-premises equivalent of ArcGIS Online.  It can connect to your SQL databases so that the mobile clients will write into the SQL Server instead of ArcGIS Online.

It is also possible to create a custom application from the Survey123 source code using AppStudio for ArcGIS, which could enable direct SQL connections.  I would be a bit wary of this procedure unless you had very well-defined submission workflows; to begin with, I would be concerned about potentially exposing the SQL server to the internet.

0 Kudos
KathleenWalker
New Contributor

Hello James,

I guess my question was not clear enough.  I wish to be able to support dynamic data/lists whose source is in SQLServer tables.  So that when the user opens survey123 in their field office they are able to see the latest data.  The user then heads for the field to fill out the survey form using the new data.

My desire it that the task of updating the data/lists to the user is transparent to them and unattended by an administrator.

Please provide specific, technical answers and links examples if possible.  Your link to the enterprise home page is not much help.

gemStateGIS

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kathleen,

We currently do not have support for the use of live data sources for choice lists.  This is a feature we do plan on implementing in the future; while we haven't planned out the design fully, we will most likely rely on ArcGIS Feature Services or other HTTP(S)-based solutions rather than a direct database connection (direct database connections would require separate drivers for Oracle, Postgres, SQL Server, etc.).

ArcGIS Feature Services act as an intermediary between a data source and client applications, providing a standardized REST (url-based) interface to data and controlling the tables, columns and operations.  See What is a feature service?—Documentation | ArcGIS Enterprise for more information.