How to disable feature template

01-12-2011 11:04 AM
YinghongLi
Occasional Contributor
I have two customized tools to do split and merge.  When new features are created using these tools I copy attributes from older features to the new ones.  I do not any attributes from feature template.  But I have hard time to find a way to disable it in code.  Please help.

Thanks
0 Kudos
8 Replies
RemigijusPankevicius
New Contributor
Li,

I'm not sure you need to disable them, but check "editor templates for programmers" link.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
You can disable this completely in the advanced arcmap settings.  You can access them in the arcgis installation folder in the utilities sub folder.  This reverts arcmap to a 9.3 style of editing: tool+ task + target and removes the feature template window.
0 Kudos
CarlosPiccirillo
New Contributor III
I am aware that templates can be disabled by using advanced arcmap settings but can this be changed in code for only the current ArcMap session? Our Citrix admin does not want to change it in the settings because this would affect all users instead of just users of our custom extension/toolbar.

Thanks,
Carlos

You can disable this completely in the advanced arcmap settings.  You can access them in the arcgis installation folder in the utilities sub folder.  This reverts arcmap to a 9.3 style of editing: tool+ task + target and removes the feature template window.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
To my knowledge the only way to do this (I have seen it done for pre-10 language settings and a citrix implementation) is to make a custom exe, that changes the registry first then launches ArcMap second and resets the registry value.  This is more or less what I am doing now, users want to launch arcmap from another application so I have the opportunity to change the registry key before I do.
0 Kudos
CarlosPiccirillo
New Contributor III
Alexander,

Thanks for the reply. Our Citrix admin will never go for the custom exe or changing registry entries. I guess I will be forced to use the 10.1 editing environment. We have a LOT of code and we were hoping to transition to 10.1 editing environment slowly over time as we got used to using 10.1. Now we're going to have to rush and change our entire editing process because we're sceduled to get 10.1 in a month or two. Ugh

Carlos

To my knowledge the only way to do this (I have seen it done for pre-10 language settings and a citrix implementation) is to make a custom exe, that changes the registry first then launches ArcMap second and resets the registry value.  This is more or less what I am doing now, users want to launch arcmap from another application so I have the opportunity to change the registry key before I do.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
How do you disable your application for other users on the citrix server?  In my experience, ArcMap is such a resource hog that putting it on a citrix environment leads to performance problems, basically as soon as you have more users than cores on the system you get slow downs and resource contention.
0 Kudos
CarlosPiccirillo
New Contributor III
I am painfully aware what a resource hog ArcMap is and have seen just how slow things get when multiple ArcMap sessions are going. We have tried to explain this to upper management until blue in the face and they don't listen, they think Citrix is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Until 2010, our application was written in VBA and saved to a template for users to use. In the background, a script was copying the template to their local directory and opening up our custom toolbar and code. When we heard VBA was no longer going to be supported at 10.1, we started converting code to C# in early 2011, which none of us knew. It was a "learn as you go" thing and it took us until December to complete it. It was quite a steep learning curve to say the least! The code is now a toolbar and extension and no longer requires a template so users can turn on our toolbar/extension just like any other ESRI extesion/toolbar. Now, we are once again forced into changing our code for 10.1 and we were hoping to be able to do it a little at a time which is why I wanted to continue using the 9.3 editing environment. I'm hoping either someone else will have an answer or I will find a way to load the old editor toolbar, snapping etc. in code. Wish me luck, I'm going to need it!

As for your question, we do not disable the application on the Citrix server. The Citrix admin can limit who has access to the extension/toolbar so that it how it is controlled but I don't know the inner workings.

How do you disable your application for other users on the citrix server?  In my experience, ArcMap is such a resource hog that putting it on a citrix environment leads to performance problems, basically as soon as you have more users than cores on the system you get slow downs and resource contention.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
I feel your pain.  I have been on the losing end of these decisions too.
0 Kudos