adding a feature class with domains as an item in AGOL

07-28-2017 02:19 PM
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

I created a feature class with domains so my field staff could have drop downs when using collector app. How can I prepare this layer for use with my AGOL map and add it as an item? Zip the geodatabase with only that feature in it? If I export to a shapefile, that would not support the domains. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I would start here: Prepare your data in ArcGIS Desktop.  This is one of several tutorial pages for Collector that cover creating a feature, publishing it as a service and putting it in a map for Collector. (You do not want to zip the geodatabase or export it to a shapefile.)

SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Thanks. I am checking on parameters that our organization may or may not have set up as I ran into some errors publishing the feature class from the tutorial instructions you suggested above.

0 Kudos
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Back to my original feature class I created......I wanted to be able to access and edit those fields where I created a domain but when I start an edit session, I see no dropdowns in the table to select the domain attributes I put in. I need to get this to work first before its applicable to use in the field on a mobile device or share in AGOL. The domains are text string fields and I know you can use text cause I've done it before in other  geodatabases. Any suggestions anyone?

0 Kudos
RandyBurton
MVP Alum

I am trying to understand where in the process you are.  Are you still creating your feature in ArcMap?  If so, it seems like the domain may not have been assigned to the field.  I am attaching a some images that show some screen captures in ArcMap and ArcCatalog.  The first shows properties of a created domain with the domain name circled.  The second shows a field that uses the domain; you can see the domain that has been assigned to the field shown by the arrow.  The third is the dropdown you should see when you are in the edit mode inside ArcMap.

If you are at another stage in developing your feature, could you attach some images that show where in the process you are?

0 Kudos
SiranErysian2
New Contributor III

Still woriing on this.....I think it may not work after I joined a table. Will get back to it.

0 Kudos